Dell has some mighty fine weapon to go up against the Macbook Air 11” and 13” and it came in the form of the slim XPS 13.
Last April 12, 2012 Dell Philippines invited people from the Media and Bloggers to the launch party / fashion show at the Mind Museum in Bonifacio Global City. Why a fashion show? It’s because the XPS 13 shows both technology and design sense into one thin and neat package. Afterwards, the guests were treated at a night inside The Mind Museum.
In my opinion, it makes a nice travel laptop and the mobile i5 or i7 coupled with an SSD would work well with Lightroom for photo edits. Just pack it with a 2TB WD Passport and I’m good! (Also I’m curious if the CF shell’s good enough to stop plastic BB’s from airsoft, making it a makeshift plate ) Now if it’d be released with an Ivy Bridge configuration I’d sure want one for Christmas though (calling out to Santa)
Here’s more what Dell can tell about the XPS13’s fashion:
Fusing Function with Fashion
“Dell unveiled today its ultra-portable XPS 13 laptop, the most compact 13.3-inch Ultrabook featuring an edge-to-edge glass, near “frameless” display, all-day battery life, and the latest innovative technology for a superb overall user experience.
Dubbed “The Best of Technology and Fashion,” designer Pablo Cabahug unveiled a trunk collection that echoed the almost monochromatic hues of the XPS 13 Ultrabook. The creations came in the same shades as the ultra-savvy gadget: the high-gloss elegance of silver; the sleekness of ebony; and the immaculate seduction of white. Cabahug wove unto his designs not just Dell’s delicious colors but also his own brand of fashion genius that even the most jaded spectators were amazed.
Dell XPS 13 delivers superb craftsmanship, durability and mobility.Its thoughtful design goes beyond beauty. With bonded Corning® Gorilla® glass, machined aluminum and carbon fiber, all these are incorporated to enhance the performance of theUltrabook™.
Strikingly thin, with more room to view, the XPS 13 Ultrabook™ is a slim 6 mm (0.24”) at its thinnest point and only 18 mm (0.71”) at its thickest point; featuring a 13.3" HD display cleverly fit into a footprint that’s similar to an 11" laptop.
It delivers powerful performance with 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ processors, giving Ultrabook™ the speed and performance you’ve come to expect from the XPS family.“The XPS 13 is the culmination of an extensive design and development process focused on creating the best Ultrabook on the planet,” enthused Christopher Papa, Country Manager of Dell Philippines. “It is specifically engineered to help both our consumer and commercial customers become more productive and connected in every way possible. From the edge-to-edge frameless display that packs more screen space into a compact body, to the innovative carbon fiber base that is lightweight and cool to the touch, the XPS 13 exemplifies our commitment to offering industry-leading mobile solutions that deliver durability and performance without compromise.”
Always up to date, itsIntel® Smart Connect Technology keeps your email, contacts, calendar and social networks up to date, even when your XPS 13 Ultrabook™ is in sleep mode. “When Dell began the conversation of what an Ultrabook could be, we carefully considered how to provide customers not only incredible mobility, but also the kind of performance experience you would expect from something much larger,” added Christopher. “A ‘good-enough’ Ultrabook wasn’t good enough for us. We were committed to developing what an Ultrabook can and should be with the XPS 13 and providing a superior user experience.”
What’s more, the unit turns on instantly and boots in as little as 8 seconds; resuming from sleep mode in just 1 second (4 seconds from deep sleep). A solid-state drive and Intel® Rapid Start Technology makes this possible.“The XPS 13 represents the most balanced of the Ultrabook class of notebooks to hit the market so far”, said Alvin Go, product manager of Dell Philippines. “Ultrabooks started by forcing people to make a choice between beauty and practicality and Dell took the time to make sure their offering would not only be very attractive, but address the critical needs of business and education buyers as well. Perhaps the best way to describe the XPS 13 is ‘beautifully uncompromised’.”
The refined features truly feel as good as it looks, due to a comfort-designed keyboard and a sleek, gesture-enabled glass touchpad. Together with Dell, Cabahug proved that, indeed, fashion and technology are not far apart but closely interwoven. And in instances like this event, are linked like peas in a pod.”
The XPS 13 comes standard with our Premier Service Package which includes In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis[iii] and one year of priority user support,[iv] and one year of Complete Cover warranty.
Additional business-friendly features for the XPS 13 include:
- Dell ProSupport™ [vi] is available for Dell business customers and provides end users and IT professionals with various remote and on-site technical support for complex hardware and software needs that include access to ProSupport specialists.
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) offers user and machine security with BitLocker Data Encryption for network-based client computing.
- Coming later this year: Configuration Services include customizing BIOS settings, loading an image, and applying asset tags prior to shipping, streamlining the process of deploying XPS 13 systems to employees wherever they may be located while ensuring consistency throughout the IT environment.
· Ultrathin laptop (0.24-0.71-inch/6-18mm) and light starting at 2.99lbs[ii]
· 13.3-inch HD WLED, 300-nit (1366×768) 720p; edge-to-edge hardened Gorilla® Glass
· Precision crafted machined aluminum with a carbon fiber base
· 128 GB SSD or 256 GB SSD drive options[viii] with Intel Rapid Start Technology
· Intel Core i5 2467M and i7 2637M processor choices
· Intel HD 3000 video graphics
· 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333Mhz memory[ix]
· Full size, backlit chiclet keyboard
· Glass integrated button touchpad with multi-gesture support
· 47WHr 6-cell battery offering up to eight hours, 53 minutes of battery life[v]; 45W AC adaptor
· Dell ProSupport[vi] for business customers, Windows Trusted Platform Module options for commercial models, and coming later this year, Dell Configuration Services
· Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity
· USB 3.0 (1) + USB 2.0 with PowerShare (1), mini DisplayPort, and headset jack (1)
· Built-in 1.3MP webcam (H.264 enabled via Skype) with dual array digital microphones
· High definition audio with Waves MaxxAudio 4
· Microsoft Genuine Windows 7 Professional
There are three pricing options for the XPS 13 and each varies with their installed Processor and Solid State Drive:
|Model||XPS L321X||XPS L321X||XPS L321X|
|SRP||Php 59,950.00||Php 71,990.00||Php 79,990.00|
|CPU||Intel Core i5-2467M processor (1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.30 GHz (TPM))||Intel Core i5-2467M processor (1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.30 GHz (TPM))||Intel Core i7-2637M processor (1.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.80 GHz (TPM))|
|HDD||128GB Solid State Drive||256GB Solid State Drive||256GB Solid State Drive|
[iii] In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis enables you to have a technician and/or part dispatched to your home following remote diagnosis for issues covered by the Limited Hardware Warranty. Premium Phone support provides access to advanced technicians for hardware and software support.
[iv] Priority User Support includes 24×7 phone support and regional support within APJ.
[v] Battery life: Tested system equipped with 6-cell battery, 4GB memory, Intel HD 3000 graphics, Intel Core i5-2467M, and 128GB solid state drive. Based on testing using the Mobile Mark 2007 battery life benchmark test. For more information about this benchmark test, visit http://www.bapco.com. Test results should only be used to compare one product with another and are not a guarantee you will experience the same battery life. Battery life may be significantly less than the test results and varies depending on your product’s configuration, software, usage, operating conditions, power management settings and other factors. Maximum battery life will decrease with time and use.
[vi] Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region. For more information, visit http://www.dell.com/servicedescriptions.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Last Thursday, Dell Philippines invited members of the press and bloggers to their unveiling of several new products namely their Inspiron and XPS desktop computers. This would be the first time in the Philippines that Dell has released desktops to consumers; not businesses though as I used to operate an Optiplex (210 and 780) at work. The briefing was held at Greenbelt 2’s Mary Grace Café and had us in a small cozy mezzanine floor of the café (better to see and better to hear I suppose). The three new products released are:
Dell XPS15z – it’s thinner than my Latitude E5420, and lighter too even if the size is bigger
Inspiron 2320 All-in-One (touch) PC and Dell XPS 8300 Desktop PC – The 2320 will seem to work well with Windows 8… but official word is, they haven’t tried installing the developer’s preview here yet. As for the XPS desktop, my serious beef here is that its video card is underpowered. AMD Radeon 6670 as well as 4GB of RAM is a bit lacking, though luckily, the ATX design means we can swap it out with more RAM or a better video card.
Below are cuts of the official release from Dell for their new computers:
Dell Introduces the Ultra-Powerful XPS 15z – One of the Thinnest PCs on the Planet*
- Less Mass, More Appeal: the Ultimate Blend of Style and Performance
- Uncompromising Performance with 2nd Generation Intel® CoreTM i5 & i7 Processors, Optional Full HD Screens and Up to Eight Hours of Battery Life[i]
- First in a Series of New Thin, Ultra-powerful Laptops from Dell This Year
- Thin (0.97”/24.68mm) laptop PC with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium; aluminum and mag-alloy enclosure
- 2nd-generation Intel Core i5 and Core i7 Dual Core processor choices
- Standard HD or optional Full HD (1920×1080) WLED display
- Fast NVIDIA graphics options[vi]:
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M with 1GB graphics memory
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M with 2GB graphics memory
- Includes NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology; NVIDIA 3DTV Play technology
- 4GB up to 8GB DDR3[vii] 1333Mhz memory[viii] options
- Fast 7200RPM hard disk storage, up to 750GB[ix]
- Built-in Slot load DVD +/- RW (reads & writes to CD/DVD)
- Backlit, Chiclet-style keyboard with adjustable brightness
- Optimized touchpad
- Built-in Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity[x]
- Intel Wireless Display-ready[xi]
- Up to 8 hours of battery life with 8-cell battery[xii]
- USB 3.0 (2), USB/eSATA with PowerShare, HDMI 1.4, Mini Display-Port, Gigabit Ethernet and audio connectors
- Built-in 9-in-1 media card reader
- Built-in 1.3MP HD Webcam with dual array digital microphones and stereo speakers
- Dell Stage software for fast access to content like music, videos and photos
- Dimensions: Height: 0.97” (24.68mm) / Width: 15.15” (384.85mm) / Depth 10.25” (260.37mm); Weight: starting at 5.54lbs (2.51 kg)[xiii]
Dell Introduces the Inspiron One 2320, the Ultimate Stay-Connected Desktop for Families
- Thin and Powerful: Sleek all-in-one design with Intel 2nd generation Core i processor
- Family Centerpiece: Fun and intuitive technology makes staying in touch, completing tasks and accessing favorite content quick and easy
Tweet This: Dell introduces the sleek, powerful Inspiron One 2320 all-in-one desktop. #DellInspiron
- Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i3
- Display: 23” WLED with 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) resolution touchscreen
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 Memory
- HD Webcam
- Hard Drive: 500GB SATA 3.5”
- Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 525M discrete graphics1
- 8:1 Media Card Reader
- Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW
- Wireless keyboard and mouse
- Audio: Integrated HD Audio w/SRS and JBL-branded speakers
- Dimensions: Width 567mm (22.32”), Height 397mm (15.6”), Depth 68mm (2.67”)
Availability and Pricing
The Inspiron One 2320 is available today at retail stores from Php 54,900.
Dell XPS 8300: Powerhouse Computer at an Excellent Value
Digital media artists, hardcore gamers and serious movie fans rejoice — no matter what your passion, the XPS 8300 desktop has the processing power to help you get the most out of it.
With options available up to the 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor, the XPS 8300 is built to handle the most demanding tasks with ease.
- XPS 8300 with the 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 runs up to 23% faster than the previous generation of i7 processors.1
- XPS 8300 provides up to 45% faster video editing and encoding than the previous generation.2
- XPS 8300 provides up to 15% faster improvement in productivity applications than the previous generation of Intel CPUs.2
Watch(monitor sold separately), play and create your media with the best possible presentation — in a smooth, uninterrupted format that puts you in the center of the action.
Take stutter and lag out of the picture with bigger-than-life NVIDIA or ATI graphics. Your movies will be smooth and seamless with the available high-performance 225W graphics options up to 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6770, with full support for DirectX® 11 for a complete Windows® 7 experience. Your movies and videos have never looked better, and the most graphics-intensive video games will come to life on your screen.
The total multimedia package
Complete your multimedia experience with massive memory capability, huge storage capacity, optional USB 3.0 support and a robust power supply that just won’t quit.
The XPS 8300 isn’t just fast—it’s powerful. With up to 12GB DDR3 1333MHz dual channel memory3 capacity and up to 1TB4 storage with dual drives, it has the resources to keep pace with your most demanding applications and never slow you down. Massive hard drive capacity allows you to store your biggest digital media, and a 460W power supply will keep you going so nothing interrupts your work or play.
Crank up the volume and prepare to be blown away. The XPS 8300 sports theater-quality audio capability that will leave you breathless.
Hear every explosion and every whisper with impeccable fidelity. The integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio PC™ sound processor is designed to bring to your XPS 8300 desktop the kind of stellar audio that is normally only experienced in live performances, movie theaters and recording studios. The optional Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster® X-Fi Titanium provides precise and detailed surround sound perfect for serious gaming.
You’re a product of the digital age, and being connected isn’t just an option for you — it’s a necessity. Dell Stage and SyncUP powered by Nero are designed to let you access to your entire digital life no matter where you go.
Take to the Stage
Enjoy, share and sync the things that matter to you. Your digital life is at your fingertips with Dell Stage, an easy-to-use interface that delivers photos, videos, music, Web pages and more with just a click.
You use your portable devices to listen to music on your way to work, browse your friends’ photos at lunch and stream videos to wind down from the day. Dell Stage on your PC lets you create shortcuts and customize playlists so you can organize your favorite items together the way you want them, when you want them, and shuttle them easily between your PC and mobile devices.5
- MusicStage: Stream radio stations from all over the world with RadioTime, purchase new music from Napster , and watch live concert video through Noisey.
- PhotoStage: Edit and crop photos, then share them with your friends on Facebook, Flickr and Shutterfly (U.S. only).
- VideoStage: Organize and play your favorite purchased videos directly from VideoStage.
SyncUP with your devices
Accessing the content you care about has never been easier. SyncUP powered by Nero makes your content available on all your devices, all the time 6.
Imagine being able to experience the same content across your computer, tablet and smartphone6, whenever and wherever you like. SyncUP powered by Nero makes it easy to sync your music, photos, videos7, contacts8 and documents between all the supported devices on your network. And don’t worry if your files are in a format your phone doesn’t recognize. SyncUP powered by Nero converts the format so you’ll be able to enjoy the file on all your devices.
Connect with style
The XPS 8300’s great visuals aren’t limited to what’s on screen. Brilliant design combines style and function for a desktop you’ll find absolutely gorgeous, even when it’s not plugged in.
The cutting-edge tilt-back design with top-recessed tray is both striking and provides easy access to multiple ports, perfect for charging your portable electronics. Featuring a contemporary look with a black bezel and white sides, the XPS 8300 is one PC you won’t want to hide under your desk.
Complete your XPS 8300 experience
Your XPS 8300 is just the start. No matter what your passion, you’ll find everything you need to complete your computing experience on Dell.com.